Two species of sea turtles nesting in the Mediterranean have been recorded in Lebanon, namely, Green and Loggerhead sea turtles.
Tyre Coast Nature Reserve is an important nesting site for these species that come to lay eggs from May to July while hatching occurs in early August to October from each season.
- Sea turtles species:
- Chelonia mydas, green turtle:
- Carapace length: 105 cm
- weight: up to 180 kg
- Caretta carettaloggerhead turtle:
- Carapace length: 90 cm
- Weight: up to 105 kg
- Dermochelys coriaceaLeatherback turtle:
- Carapace length: 256 cm
- Weight: up to 916 kg.
A resting/sleeping turtle can remain underwater for over 4-7 hours
The nesting process consists of 8 stages:
- Emerging from sea, making tracks
- Cleaning nesting site
- Digging using her rear flippers
- Laying eggs
- Covering using her rear flippers
- Camouflaging by throwing dry sand behind her
- Returning to sea, leaving tracks
- Threats: التهديدات
- Beach degradation
- Sand compaction
- Light pollution
- Divers Pollution
- Boat strike
- Tourism development
- Natural predation
- Diet: النظام الغذائي
- Caretta caretta:
Loggerheads like mollusk, fish, jellyfish, shrimp, and clam.
- Chelonia mydas:
Green sea turtles are primary vegetarian.
- Dermochelys coriacea:
Leatherbacks like soft-bodied animals like jellyfish